Idiot's Convention

Sunday, April 10

Stupid Casual

Who invented the term 'smart casual'? If they're still alive, then they won't be for long. If they're dead, then I'm going to do some grave digging. I was invited to Sharon's VCE tutor's 21st birthday party. He also happens to be called Mark, so all references to Mark in this post will be about him and not my 'Mark'.

Mark sees me on MSN and tells me that he's planning to have a birthday party. I say that I can come. Few days later, I get an email:


Hi everyone,

Sorry about the LATE notice but I've only just gotten confirmation from the venue today.

As planned, my belated 21st birthday party will be on

Saturday 9th April 7:30-11:30
@ INCK CAFE 401 Swanston St. Melbourne
RSVP: Please let me know that you got this email and
then RSVP as soon as you can. Cheers!

Dress Code: Nominally smart casual but if you'd prefer something slightly more formal eg. cocktail dress that's fine also.



Sharon tells me that I can't wear jeans, runners and a t-shirt. This is generally agreed to by everyone that I asked. So in true Anna fashion (oh my, what a horrible pun- why is it that people always bring attention to puns when they're not that funny?), I left it until the last minute. I went to my aunt to ask her if I could borrow some clothes. I didn't fit anything that she had, so she told me that there's 75% off stuff at Myer in Highpoint. So off we went. I never got around to writing about the trip to Chadstone with Jing and Jean, and the video that I took has disappeared.

Anyway, They spent the entire time telling me that I'm wasting my youth on wearing jeans and t-shirts. I should be out wearing things that will make me freeze to death and make me look like I just came out of a fairy floss factory, because I'd be so pink. Pink! *shudder* (It just occured to me that certain people that read this like pink, so I'll just say that it's a.... nice colour.....

I ended up getting a black shirt with sequins! I did find a shirt with robots on it though, so I'm happy.

Off to the party... and you know what I see?


Mark is wearing jeans, a t-shirt and runners!!!!!

4 Comments:

  • I feel partially responsible for this. Anna msgs me (distraught apparently) and I gave my understanding of "Smart Casual" which is black pants, good shoes (high heels- but i thought this might be pushing Anna's limits a little too far)
    Anyway, even the black pants thing scared her so I got msg two- something about owning only jeans... and I did tell her nice jeans are fine.
    The shirt may have been my idea though... :P
    Pictures Anna! Pictures!
    P.S We have to go shopping again soon!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:16 pm, April 10, 2005  

  • ah dear! u sound quite distraught anna! well smart casual...i'd have taken that to basically mean to t-shirts or runners...pretty much dress so u look good...?

    ANYWAY! on to my point - you need not cry out in disgust that mark's party had a dress code of "smart casual"...my birthday party was DECIDEDLY worse in terms of dress code. The theme for the night was "shirts and skirts".

    i.e. boys had to wear shirts, smart pants and NO RUNNERS (although some silly little boys decided to turn up in jeans and runners tsk tsk).
    and girls had to wear nice top and skirt, etc.

    and the benefit of all this "torture" as you might call it? everyone looked AWESOME on the night :). And being pretty makes people happy so we were all very happy and lived happily ever after. the end.

    By Blogger JingleBells, at 7:27 pm, April 11, 2005  

  • Yes, I was a little distraught when I messaged Jean, but I'm laughing at that now. I was just a *little* annoyed that Mark was wearing what he was. Especially after I had asked a whole lot of people what I should wear. I'm over it now though.

    By Blogger Fodder, at 10:32 pm, April 11, 2005  

  • hey anna, didnt have a copy of the conversation i had with mark pre party, so i got one off him.. now tshirt and jeans wasnt exactly wat he said. this is the quote.
    Mark: One Step Closer says: (7:01:24 PM)
    it's not super formal
    Mark: One Step Closer says: (7:01:45 PM)
    but i wouldn't expect many people there in trackies and tshirts
    Mark: One Step Closer says: (7:02:28 PM)
    i'll probably just wear some sort of pants and a shirt with a collar

    so there u go. pretty ambiguous. btw, i thought u borrowed that black top from ur aunt. i thought only the pants were urs.
    oh.. and i forgot to ask mark for the photo....
    probably all dark anywaz though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:23 pm, April 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home